Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh Orchard... you give me fever

I consider shopping one of the things in life I’m quite good at. It really never presents me with many difficulties and, most importantly, it gives me great, great pleasure. Having the reputation of a shopper’s heaven, I thought Singapore to be the last place to throw shopping hurdles at me. Oh- how naive I was.


I came here with a vision of edgy Asian brands, which is why I attempted to pack lightly - in case I would acquire a new wardrobe. However, my vision was rudely destroyed in the form of frilly, cartoon-inspired ‘free-size’ clothing. ‘Free-size’? It’s an Asian term carrying out the philosophy of ‘one size fits all’ and any non-believers just have to deal with it because you cannot try on the clothes. After all, what is the need to try it on if it is guaranteed to fit?


Call me crazy, but I have this hunch that I have a slightly different body-type than the women here. My longer legs make me worry about whether mini-dresses really do ‘fit all’. I’m guessing no. So I decided to abandon the local shops of cheap, lacy, questionable fabric clothes and head down to Orchard Rd. As I set foot in the first shopping mall, my friend commented on the grin on my face. Yes, trouble had arrived.


Besides my successful shopping spree, of which I will casually leave out the details, I have further discovered the other things that Singapore has to offer. A lot of them are food related because I became friends with some locals who love to take me out for dinner. My love for Asian food and my tolerance for spices are greatly appreciated. They also share some crucial inside information: “In Asia, you don’t tip. You bribe.” Very handy for when I go backpacking in the summer.


On the same day as my shopping, I also went to the National Museum of Singapore. You know, to balance it out a little. Finally getting the low down on Singapore’s history, I enjoyed it a lot. In the hopes of discovering a little bit of the less well-known arts scene, I also went to a couple of galleries and attended a poetry slam in the Arab Quarter. Innocently sitting in the audience of the poetry competition, I was asked to be one of the judges. A perfect example of what often happens here – casually rolling into another great experience.


As for this week, I am working on my speech for my ‘speech and argumentation’ class that I have to present this Friday. My chosen topic is the importance for today’s students to keep dreaming – even if your wishes seem wild and crazy. I will share one of the quotes I am using to leave you, my devoted and much appreciated readers, with some food for thought:


“All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.” – T. E. Lawrence