Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The first chapter of my adventures

When I was packing up my things to go study in Singapore for half a year, I had little intention of starting a blog. However, it happens that I love to write and that I have a new best friend: a canon superzoom camera. Both of these seem to be key ingredients for a blog so here I am, entering the blogosphere. Finding topics to write about should not be too big of hurdle because I fully intend on experiencing as many new things and places during my stay in Asia. Maybe my stories will even reach beyond my already established fanbase (hi mom, dad.) and this blog can be my way of sharing my adventures.

I have been frolicking around Singapore for a little less than a month now, thinking I have seen a lot but there is plenty to be discovered. My true exchange started when I left the hotel near Orchard Road (shopping mall heaven), where I stayed with my mom before my semester
started at Nanyang Technological University. Fully intending on turning into a legit backpacker over the course of this experience, I strapped on my backpack… and hopped into a cab. Let’s just say I’ll have plenty of practice ‘roughing it’ later on.

At the university, I have met a great group of people who, like myself, want to make the most of the time here. So together we take on Singapore and explore the different neighborhoods such as Chinatown (full of Chinese New Year decorations), Little India, Arab Quarter and the Quays. Of course, a great chunk of the reason why I love these areas is the food – prata, tom yum soup, green curry, pisang goreng, coconuts.. it is heaven. If I would answer the question why I decided to go to Singapore on exchange, the above-mentioned delicacies would be the honest response.

As for the nightlife, it is more than I could ask for. There are plenty of clubs to choose from and most of them host a ‘ladies night’. Contrary to what ladies night entails at my home university – a traumatizing performance by a repulsive stripper – it is a night where girls enter the club
and drink for free. Sipping on my cranberry vodka, I dance the night away. Another way of
spending your night is at the fancier clubs at the top of hotels. Where again, chances are big you won’t spend a dime because of all the businessmen buying bottles of champagne. Moët, anyone?

Looking at the length of this post and the weather outside, it is time to wrap this up. After all, the campus pool is waiting for me. Please stay tuned for my next entry, which will cover my trip to Kuala Lumpur. In order to keep you guys interested, I’ll use the old trick of a cliffhanger by saying one word: elephants.